SMM has been postponed to the period from 2 until 5 February 2021.
1. When will SMM take place?
2. Why has SMM been postponed?
Following intense consultations with the exhibitor advisory board, Hamburg Messe und Congress GmbH (HMC) is postponing SMM 2020 because of the Coronavirus pandemic and its global impact on major events and international travelling.
3. What safety precautions will be in place at the next event?
The dynamic of the spread of the coronavirus is changing from day to day. Hamburg Messe und Congress GmbH is in constant communication with the responsible health authorities to jointly assess the situation. Comprehensive health protection measures appropriate for the given conditions will be taken and announced publicly in a timely manner for the rescheduled SMM in February 2021. Hamburg Messe und Congress is planning to adapt the event concept in a roundtable with the health authorities and Health & Safety Executives (HSE) of selected exhibitors to guarantee a maximum of safety and success at the fair.
4. I just read that the trade fair has been postponed. What is going to happen now?
In a first step all affected parties were notified. Your contact persons at HMC are available to answer all your questions and help you rearrange your trade fair participation. SMM is scheduled to take place at the new date basically the way it was originally planned.
Nevertheless, Hamburg Messe und Congress will work with the responsible authorities to develop a concept for SMM that will provide utmost safety while ensuring a successful trade event. Adjustments regarding the content of the event concept will be made in collaboration with the Health and Security Executives of selected exhibitors. The concept for SMM will be finalised by 15 October and subsequently communicated to all exhibitors in a summary format. In the event that any exhibitor wishes to cancel its participation in SMM 2021 because of this new concept, they may notify us in writing by e-mail within a period of 14 days, i.e. by 31 October 2020. Any exhibitor giving proper notice of cancellation on important grounds as stated above will receive a 100per cent refund. The same arrangements will apply accordingly in the event an exhibitor wishes to downsize its exhibition stand area. Any cancellations declared after 1 November will be subject to the standard post-acceptance cancellation fee of 25per cent or 100per cent, as applicable.
5. Will my contract with Hamburg Messe und Congress GmbH remain in force for the new date?
According to paragraph 15 of the General Conditions of Participation of Hamburg Messe und Congress GmbH, the existing agreement between us remains in force for the rescheduled event. There is no action needed from your side if you still plan to participate at the new dates.
6. Will our admission remain effective?
Your admission including the access information and placement will remain in effect. No further action is required on the exhibitor’s part since the existing agreement remains in force in case of postponement of the event.
7. What HMC charges should I expect if I do not go along with the postponement?
We seek to address the situation in a spirit of good partnership and courtesy towards our customers: We therefore offer our exhibitors the option to cancel their participation within a period of 14 days following the receipt of the postponement announcement (05-05-2020). Any exhibitor cancelling its participation on important grounds will receive a 100per cent refund of the participation fee, the AUMA fee and the fee for the marketing package. The same arrangements will apply accordingly in the event an exhibitor wishes to downsize its exhibition stand area.
8. May I reduce the size of my stand for economic reasons, and will I be charged a cancellation fee if I do so?
Any change of the size of the exhibition area assigned to an exhibitor and/or its co-exhibitors generally requires the approval of HMC at HMC’s discretion, and HMC is under no obligation to grant such an approval. We seek to address the situation in a spirit of good partnership and courtesy towards our customers: We therefore offer our exhibitors the option to cancel their participation within a period of 14 days following the receipt of the postponement announcement (05-05-2020). Any exhibitor cancelling its participation on important grounds will receive a 100per cent refund of the participation fee, the AUMA fee and the fee for the marketing package. The same arrangements will generally apply in the event an exhibitor wishes to downsize its exhibition stand area.
9. Will all existing contracts and booked services remain valid?
Yes, all services you have booked and all agreements made will remain in effect unless the service partners contracted by HMC are unable to deliver. Your orders placed through the
services booking shop will be adjusted automatically to reflect the new dates. Please remember to rearrange any services you may have contracted externally without involving HMC.
10. Will the exhibitor ID cards, vouchers and visitor tickets remain valid?
Yes, all exhibitor ID cards, invitations and visitor tickets remain valid.
11. Is it possible to return any trade fair and conference tickets?
12. Will my travel expenses be reimbursed, in particular the costs of plane tickets, railway tickets, rental vehicles or hotel accommodation?
No, HMC cannot reimburse you for cancellation fees relating to any contracts with third parties.
13. Will HMC reimburse us for our expenses incurred for services booked with third-parties (such as catering services, agencies etc.)?
No. Any services ordered from third parties are exclusively subject to the contractual relationship between the parties to the contract. Therefore HMC will not reimburse you for any related costs.
14. Who will bear the costs resulting from cancelling my stand construction order and hotel bookings?
All cancellation costs related to services an exhibitor has ordered from third parties must be settled with the respective party based on the applicable contract terms and conditions. Therefore HMC will not reimburse you for any related costs.
15. What will happen with the services I ordered through the services booking shop if I am unable to participate in the rescheduled event or my participation is not feasible?
You may cancel any services you have ordered through HMC free of charge if you can credibly demonstrate that your participation in the rescheduled event is not feasible.
16. We had already booked some ceiling suspensions/electricity connections etc. Will those bookings be carried over?
All bookings of services will remain valid if at all possible.
17. Might the trade fair be postponed again or is this the last-resort date for the fair?
While we will not postpone the trade fair a second time, we do not participate in any speculation. The next scheduled SMM will be in September 2022.
No legal claims may be derived from the information contained in this overview.
We shall not be held liable for any errors or omissions. Revised 12-05-2020